If you want to QA a feature experiment or simply rollout a feature variation to an internal group of users, using a whitelist of users, combined with a targeted delivery rule is one of the easiest ways to achieve this goal.
For example, imagine that you want to release a new feature with 2 possible variations: feature A and feature B, but you want first to QA the experiment’s live behavior and show feature A to a first group of internal users and feature B to a second group of stakeholders, you can follow the easy steps below:
1. Create segments of whitelisted users (group A and B)
2. Create 1 targeted delivery rule for each group of users
Please note that we do not recommend setting a large number of user IDs (< 20 per variation) as it will increase the size of your datafile and thus the latency as the SDK will have to fetch a bigger file. If you wish to target more users, you can set a custom data attribute for the whole audience (eg. Internal users only) and then target the experience with that audience.
Create a targeted delivery rule for each group of users
1. Navigate to Activate > Feature flags and edit your feature flag.
2. Add a new rule and select the option Targeted delivery.
3. On the right side pane, create a new segment Group A and look for the Visitor code condition. Add the users ID you want to be part of group A.
4. Choose the variation you want to serve, for example Variation A. All users from Group A will receive variation A of your flag.
4. Add a second Targeted delivery rule and replicate the same steps for Variation B and Group B.