Does Kameleoon respect CNIL’s obligations regarding cookies?
Kameleoon’s solutions store information on the hard drive of visitors to your site in the form of LocalStorage data and, in some cases, in the form of audience measurement cookies:
- LocalStorage data allows targeting of visitors based on technical, behavioral or contextual criteria. This data is stored to customize your site based on identified targets;
- Audience measurement cookies (named
kameleoonVisitIdentifier) are stored if you use the Kameleoon reporting solution (if you push your results into your analytics solution, this cookie is not stored).
Although it is possible in some cases to be exempted (see note below), we recommend following the CNIL recommendations regarding the prior information and the modalities of obtaining the prior consent of visitors. Your visitors’ informations must, through the appearance of a banner, relate to:
- The precise purposes of LocalStorage data and cookies;
- The fact that the continuation of the navigation is equivalent to the deposit on the terminal;
- The possibility of opposing their filing and changing the parameters by clicking on their terminal at any time; the visitor must be able to withdraw his consent whenever he wants;
- The terms of the device to accept or reject all or part of LocalStorage data and cookies. To do this, simply add a link on your privacy information page. When you click on it, the “#kameleoonOptout=true” parameter must be added at the end of your website URL. This automatically creates a “kameleoonOptout” cookie on the visitor’s browser to store visitor objection information, and to disable Kameleoon entirely. An example of HTML code is given below:
<a href="http://www.yourwebsite.com/#kameleoonOptout=true" target="_blank"> Disable Kameleoon </a>
The period of validity of the consent to the deposit of LocalStorage data and cookies can not exceed 13 months, which corresponds precisely to the maximum duration of Kameleoon cookies.
Note: The CNIL has not expressly pronounced on the question of whether the deposit of Local Storage data and their reading are subordinated to the collection of the prior consent of the visitor. It is possible, regarding cookies measuring audience, to be exempted from the collection of prior consent under certain conditions specified by the CNIL on its website, available at http://cnil.fr.